Wednesday 13 January 2016

A Frosty cruise

 

IMG_1716We pulled pins from the top of Hillmorton locks at 08.10 and with the temperature at 1deg a frost on the ground and full Sunshine its a perfect morning for cruising. Carolyn had some fun with the ropes as they were all frozen stiff.

IMG_1722As it was a bit slippery around the locks Carolyn decided that she wasn't going to slip and fall over on the ice so she said as I wanted to make an early start I could have the pleasure of lock wheeling today.

IMG_1724Carolyn is off into the distance leaving me behind to close the paddles and gates on the lock. Apparently I am not as fast as she is when operating the locks. I think it must be an age thing.

IMG_1733With 2 boats moored on the bollards before the bottom lock Carolyn has to hold Inca on the centre rope while I do the elsan and rubbish.

IMG_1743After a near disaster at this flight of locks a few months ago when a boat got hung up Carolyn keeps Inca well back from the bottom lock gates

IMG_1747Safely down and then out of the lock and then an hour on one of the slowest water points on the system, We then moved off towards Rugby on a lovely crisp Winters day.

IMG_1755We passed this chap on route and what a fine looking beast he is. Just look at the size of the nuts horns on him (bet you looked) , I reckon he could do some damage with them !!!

IMG_1764Eventually arriving at Brownsover we picked up a mooring on the park side and with low temperatures forecast we will spend a few days here. There are a few retail parks just down the road from our mooring so I guess I wont be seeing much of Carolyn.

                                                                                                           Happy Days

8 comments:

  1. Since this is my first comment for 2016 - Happy New Year! Hillmorton Locks always bring back good memories. They are the first locks we ever did, and we didn't do anything dumb. Makes me shiver just thinking about having your "horns" exposed like that on such a cold morning. Aloha, Amos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amos. Did you know that Hillmorton locks are the busiest flight of locks on the system. But at this time of year we have them all to ourselves. A very Happy new year to you and Charlene ...

      Delete
  2. That was a very nice blog Gary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do try ,although Carolyn says I am very trying !!

      Delete
  3. Passed through Rugby today. Had expected it to have plenty of free space but it was not so. Then I noticed the names of some of the boats - was it a blogger's convention or summat? :-) Cheers, John nb Samsara.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi John. There are a few of us here. There must be a name for a group of bloggers when there are several together. Needless to say we have had the odd drink and meal out together . Give us a shout hello next time you pass ..cheers Gary

      Delete
    2. Hi Gary. Unfortunately I could not stop for a chat as I wish to be the other side of Glascote before the stoppage. In different circumstances I would have said hello as I have been reading the blog for a couple of years now :-
      Cheers, John nb Samsara @ Hartshill

      Delete
    3. Hi John , Hopefully sometime in the future our paths will cross .. Enjoy your cruising !!!

      Delete